Philippine Junior Wrestling Team's Participation in the 5th Southeast Asian Junior and Cadet Wrestling Championship
By: Karlo Silverio L. Sevilla III
I. Philippine Team Composition.
The Philippine Wrestling Team sent a five-man delegation to the 5th Southeast Asian Junior and Cadet Wrestling Championship held at the Institute of Physical Education in Suphanburi Province, Thailand. Making up the team are the following:
01. Alvin Lobreguito (Quezon City), Athlete, 55 kg. Freestyle, Junior Division (18-20 years old);
02. Joseph Angana (Zamboanga City), Athlete, 60 kg. Greco-Roman, Junior Division;
03. Joshua Gayuchan (Ifugao), Athlete, 50 kg. Greco-Roman, Cadet Division (16-17 years old);
04. Roy Camposano, Coach; and
05. Karlo Sevilla, Team Manager.
II. Performance of each Athlete.
01. Joseph Angana - The youngest brother of two-time Southeast Asian Games gold medalists Jimmy and Margarito, Jr., the 20-year-old Angana won his first match over the Cambodian wrestler Yun Bunna (5-0, 7-0). In his second match he got blanked (1-0, 5-0) and lost to Pham Sy Thu, the eventual silver medallist from Vietnam, the wrestling powerhouse in the SEA region (who in turn lost the gold medal to Suparmanto of Indonesia, via a controversial 4-2 score in the third round of their match). Next, in the repechage round, he won his third match against Attchai Jantarachit of Thailand with the scores of 0-7, 2-8. (In wrestling, the wrestler in red uniform, the Thai in this case, is scored "on the left-hand side." The wrestler in blue is scored on the right). Last, he lost in the first round, by fall (0-7), the bronze medal match versus Ritthisak Phawan, also of Thailand. (As host country, Thailand is allowed to field a maximum of five participants per weight category. All other countries are limited to two per weight. Also, if there are more than five competitors in a weight class, there are two bronze medals to be won).
Angana ended his campaign with 2-2 win-loss record.
* Read More ...
[Click here for more NEWS!!!]